1 11.1 Discussion archive
The original discussion is archived here:
(with posts relevant to this discussion between 9th February and 9th March 2009).
The wiki version of the report, as well as all the related discussion, is available here:
The continued access to OER discussion is available here:
The proposal that has grown out of the present discussion is available here:
A collection of useful links and references that were mentioned during the discussion:
- OER useful resources
- UNESCO OER Toolkit
- http://blog.worldcampus.psu.edu/index.php/2009/01/29/copyright-issues-accessibility/ : "Various forms of accommodation require the creation and distribution of derivative works, which is a restriction that comes along with the default copyright license."
- The WAI authoring tool guidelines provide a good example of how the authors of Web content can be supported in creating accessible content whether they are knowledgeable or particularly motivated about accessibility or not http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/atag.php.
- Introduction to Web Accessibility, from the W3C Web Accessibility Initiative: http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/accessibility.php
- Different Disabilities that Can Affect Web Accessibility, from W3C: http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/PWD-Use-Web/#diff
- WebAIM Section 508 Checklist: http://www.webaim.org/standards/508/checklist.php
- The work on the popular Dojo http://dojotoolkit.org/ and JQuery http://ui.jquery.com/ software development toolkits shows how accessibility supports can be built into the building blocks of software applications and educational delivery systems.
- The translation packs of the ATutor Learning Management System which is translated into more than 36 languages by volunteers around the world a few weeks after each release http://www.atutor.ca/atutor/translate/index.php, show how integrated supports can help us achieve a very challenging goal.
- Projects like the international Fluid Project show how solving accessibility and diversity problems can benefit all users http://fluidproject.org.
- Large international collaborations like the Raising the Floor initiative http://raisingthefloor.net/ or the AEGIS project http://www.aegis-project.eu/ show how multi-sector collaborations can create an integrated approach to this complex challenge.
- The technology can over come barriers ( speaking web pages, Braille printers and so on). This requires good design and thought. In the UK Techdis www.techdis.ac.uk has done some really useful work.
- Douglas Tedford, "Social Capital and Internet Usage of Rural Guatemalan Teachers", VDM Verlag, ISBN: 978-3-639-12475-0, (2009). 
- Philise Rasugu (2006), "Laying the foundations for Open Educational Resources in Higher Education in Africa: A Survey on Perceptions of African Academics", Project Report submitted to the University of Southern Queensland, Australia as the final assignment to fulfill the requirements for Master of Online Education.
- 2nd life moodle http://www.sloodle.org/moodle
- Lams = Learning Activity Management System = http://www.lamsfoundation.org or http://www.lamsinternational.com
- Rams = Research Activity Management System = http://wiki.lamsfoundation.org/display/rams/Home
- Mams = Meta Access Management System = https://mams.melcoe.mq.edu.au/zope/mams
- LAMS and RAMS can be integrated into Content Management Systems such as Moodle and you can find free open source downloads & modules at http://moodle.org
- Free Open University .. http://openlearn.open.ac.uk
- Free Open Learn .. http://www.open.ac.uk/openlearn/home.php
- Free Open Courseware from MIT .. http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm
- WikiVersity - http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Composing_free_and_open_online_educational_resources
- Archive.org - http://www.archive.org/details/education
- WISE is a simple yet powerful learning environment where students examine real world evidence and analyze current scientific controversies; ... grade 5-12 students will find them exciting and engaging http://wise.berkeley.edu
- Students of Medicine's Mission is to place into reach, professional medical careers for the underprivileged youth through the use of Moodle and innovative online learning tools. Dr. Jimenez wants to expand his program Internationally and is seeking the connections of Secondary High School Administrators - http://studentsofmedicine.com ..
- WiserEarth.org - WiserEarth is an online community space connecting people, nonprofits, and businesses working toward a just and sustainable world - http://www.wiserearth.org
- OpenSpell - a spelling game which can be localised for additional languages: http://www.meraka.org.za/openspell.htm
- Regarding proposals addressing language barriers, take a look at the work being done here: http://www.meraka.org.za/hlt_projects.htm
- Getsmartmoodle.org is a Moodle that is a free open resource for your use - http://getsmartmoodle.org - Come join in the fun that is learning, producing a positive result, and helping to educate a global community...
- Cisco Visual Networking Index: Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast Update